Friday, December 2, 2011

A Confirmation

I had spent the day trying to get rid of stuff,
but I'm too nostalgic.
Everything has a memory with Jeff.
A shirt he complimented,
a dried flower he gave me,
the dress I wore when he danced with me,
the shoes I wore on our first date.

I've been trying so hard to hold on to what I could,

and I had a boyfriend.
Life is really confusing for a girl with a missionary
who loves a boy who is there now.
Girls, it's okay.
It's okay to date.
It's okay to have a boyfriend.
Just know how it's going to hurt him,
and you,
when you have to choose.

I chose Jeff.

My boyfriend stayed a little too late at my house watching a movie.
We'd forgotten to look at the time.
My parents kicked him out around 12:30am and they were upset.
It wasn't until my mom looked me in the eye and said,
"who are you?"
Who am I.
I had felt like I was loosing myself all day long.
Thinking of your missionary when you're dating someone else is a guilt trip,
and I couldn't help but think of Jeff always.
It didn't help that his letter was taking four months.
I didn't know if he had moved on,
if he wanted me to move on,
if he had forgotten about me,
if the letters were getting lost,
I didn't know.
I went down to my room and bawled my eyes out,
to the point when hiccups came.
I said a silent prayer to,
"send me someone, please!"
Then walked in my mom.
We talked about everything that was bothering me.
A good talk.
A long talk.
I calmed down.
Then she left.

As I was laying in bed thinking everything over,
how confusing my life had become.
I said another quiet prayer,
"show me what to do."
Then,
it was as if someone whispered in my ear.
"Go and get the mail."
I made me jump!
I looked over at my clock.
Two o'clock in the morning.
I thought to myself,
"It's 2:00 in the morning?! Why should I get it now? Anything that's in there now will be there when I wake up."
But I ignored myself,
wrapped myself in a blanket,
snuck out of my house,
and went to get the mail.
I couldn't see the letters in the dark,
not to mention I was afraid to look to see if one said Elder Gibson on it.
I waited until I was in my kitchen before I sifted through the letters.
It didn't take long to find his.
14 pages long.
A continuous effort since July.
Elder Gibson!
I
gasped,
grabbed the letter,
ran to my room,
read it,
cried,
prayed thanks,
read it,
cried,
prayed thanks,
and went to sleep happy.
A confirmation.
That letter came at just the right moment.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome Nikki! I appreciate your sharing this. Big hugs to you <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! It's nice to have support. :) Only three more months!

    ReplyDelete