Monday, November 22, 2010

Let's Get One Thing Straight. . .

Girls like me get put into two stereotypes.
The first is that I'm the evil girl distracting Elder Gibson from his mission and therefore interrupting the work.
The second is that I'm the romantically sad girlfriend whose life is waiting for my Jeffrey to come home and save me from crying into my pillow every night.
I can tell which one a person puts me in right when I tell them I'm waiting for a missionary.
The look on their face, and the things they say can be annoying and sometimes hurtful.
Let me assure you I do not fit in with these stereotypes, and the reasons are. . .
For the first stereotype:
1. I understand the importance of a mission in a man's life.
2. Elder Gibson meets real people who really need to hear the Gospel, why in the world would I distract him from that.
3. I don't want to be that girl, it's not who I am.
4. It would ruin our relationship, even as friends.
5. His potential to grow on his mission would be hindered.
For the second:
1. I am a working college student with a life.
2. I am not completely dependent upon Jeff for being happy with my life.
3. It's not fair for Jeff to have that much responsibility for me.
4. I also don't want to be this girl.

Yes, I do miss Jeff.
Yes, I do have my bad days,
but I have great friends who understand me
and a family that's always here for me.
Elder Gibson doesn't even know about this blog, or that I'm waiting for him
and I'm not going to be the one to tell him.
Our letters are something you'd expect from a friend and that's how they're going to be until he is off his mission and released.
There will be no dating stories posted on this blog.
The point being I do not wish to humiliate anyone on my blog with a bad dating story,
but I do date.
Jeff and I agreed that I would date while he was gone.
When you read my blog, I urge you to read it with an open-mind.



1 comment:

  1. Nikki you are awesome! What a great supportive friend you are. Love you a ton!

    ReplyDelete