Friday, November 5, 2010

No Thanksgiving in Mexico?!

I know it's sort of a duh moment,
but I never really thought of life without Thanksgiving.
I've never know anything different.
My favorite part of the year is when the leaves change color and I get to curl up a cozy blanket and drink some hot cocoa.
For Elder Gibson, in Mexico this time of year is it just like it was when he arrived in July.
He recently wrote how much he misses the leaves changing and the cold.
Missing cold isn't like Elder Gibson,
he loves the heat.
It's a classic "don't know what ya got 'til it's gone" scenario.
So, I'm sending his a Thanksgiving package filled with. . .


Maple Leaf Creme Cookies. Fits the occasion!


Creamy peanut butter. I heard it's pretty pricey down there.


What would a missionary package be without candy?


I know it seems weird to send hot drinks while he doesn't get to see cold weather, but it's all about the memory they create. Whenever I smell hot apple cider it's like a cue that winter is coming.


Sugar cookies!


A honey comb turkey to hang up in his apartment.



And finally, what's a Thanksgiving without the big Thanksgiving dinner? This missionary gets all the imperishable goodness of instant mashed potatoes, instant stuffing mix, instant turkey gravy, and even real turkey! Well, turkey jerky, but that's the best it's going to get.


All packed up and almost ready to go. . .


Well you know, since Elder Gibson is missing the turning of the leaves I decided my packing material of choice would have to be a bunch of silk fall leaves.
I picked some up at Tai Pan for only $2.00 a branch. Each branch had about ten leaves on them,
so I bought four.
It must be a little strange going through the fall and winter seasons without the
cooler weather,
fall leaves,
and warm cozy sweaters.
I guess you could say that Elder Gibson is learning to be grateful for those things
and maybe we should too.

2 comments:

  1. Nikki I love this post. Great pictures! You're a wonderful friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nikki, you are the sweetest person! I love you! Aunt Nancy

    ReplyDelete